Sunday, March 2, 2008

Aruba!!!

"Aruba, Jamaica, ooh I wanna take you to
Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama
Key Largo Montego, baby why don't we go...
Ooh I wanna take you down to Kokomo,
we'll get there fast
and then the baggage's slow"



We're there!

Of course, they had to deplane us (I'm sorry, I always think of Herve Villachez - don't say the "d" word!), take us through Aruba security and customs - "Do you have money? Are you going to spend it? You pass." Get our luggage - which seemed interminable - there weren't that many people on the plane - I think the so called "luggage handlers" (a misnomer if there ever was one) were just sitting in the luggage storage room with a camera on us and they would occasionally put a bag on the conveyor and laugh at us as we inspected the same luggage that had been there when we first arrived - a lot of them were old Samsonite bags with dust on them (the hard cover ones we used in the '60's) - and then find a taxi - what a pleasant place!! The city - Oranjestad - (which is Dutch for Orange City - pretty clever those Dutch) seemed very pleasant, not too "third worldy" as frequenters of the Caribbean might often find.



Well, we got here to our little Oasis, which is basically like the Garden of Eden with Rum drinks. I'm sorry, but if the choice would have been an "apple" or "a drink with an umbrella in it", I don't think we would have ever been banished.

The trip has been wonderful and, as I have promised my wife, there will be some "back posting" going on, but first I have to go out and find an apple.

Gary


The beach is directly outside of our room...


No comments: